Proposals are your one-stop shop for booking a client. Instead of getting caught in a tornado of oh-so-many different files, sending a Proposal — a file that combines an Invoice and a Contract — expedites your booking process and allows your client to quickly review, pay, and sign. All from one document. And, as with our other file types, you can create, edit, and send Proposals through your iOS or Android app!
HoneyBook Tip: Looking for a file where your client can select the services they're interested in, instead of sending them a fixed list? Check out our Brochure file instead!
iOS and Android: Creating and sending a Proposal
1. Tap the plus (+) icon in your Pipeline view, find the Project that requires an Invoice, or create a new Project (remember, Proposals always need to be associated with a Project).
Tap the plus (+) icon: Just select Proposal from the menu, then skip to Step 4. You'll be able to select an existing Project to connect the file to, or create a new Project!
Find a Project: search via the search icon at the top of your app's Home screen (Pipeline view), or locate the Project from the Project List in your Pipeline.
Create a Project: learn how here.
2. Once in the Project, tap the New File button.
3. Select Proposal.
PLEASE NOTE: You can only attach one HoneyBook file per email.
4. Choose to start with a blank Proposal, a Proposal you've drafted (but not yet sent), a recently used Proposal, or an Proposal Template.
HoneyBook Tip: No matter where you choose to start, you can always adjust the header image by tapping the image and selecting a new one from your HoneyBook Library, device photos, or by taking a brand new photo to add.
5. In the Items and Payment Plan sections, you'll create the Invoice portion of your Proposal. See Creating and sending an Invoice on mobile for more info.
6. Changes to the Invoice portion will save automatically. Tap the back icon to return
to the full Proposal. (Need more info on editing Invoices on mobile? Check it out here.)
7. Tap the Contract field to open the included Contract and make any necessary changes to your service agreement. (Need more info on editing Contracts on mobile? Check it out here.)
HoneyBook Tip: HoneyBook Contracts are legally binding, so make sure to clearly include all relevant service information here.
8. Tap Save Contract to return to the full Proposal.
9. Make any final settings adjustments: the Proposal name, payment options, gratuity settings, etc. by tapping the 3-dot icon in the upper right corner.
10. Tap View as Client to review how your client will receive the Proposal, or just tap Attach when you're ready to send.
11. Review, create, or select the email that will send with your file. You can:
Keep the default email text you see, or make a few changes. We'll automatically populate the email Template that's associated with the file type you're sending! And remember, you can always edit the email Templates themselves, so the Template that auto-populates moving forward will always look the way you want it.
Create a new message by tapping the subject line/email body field and deleting the auto-populated text. Then, just enter your own subject line and email text.
Select the Templates menu at the top of the screen to choose from your existing email Templates. This will replace the existing subject line and email text with those of the new Template.
Add additional attachments (non-HoneyBook files) to the email by tapping the paper clip icon in the toolbar and selecting your attachment(s) of choice.
12. Tap Send when you're ready! HoneyBook will send the email and Proposal right to your client.
Once your client signs and/or makes a payment, you'll be notified via email & within the app itself. To countersign the Contract portion, you can simply open the Proposal file again to add your own signature!
PLEASE NOTE: If you've added multiple participants to your Project but you only need to send the Proposal to one (or a certain subset of the participants), you can create a related Workspace within your Project to do so! This will need to be done on desktop, however.
Need to resend the Proposal, make edits once you've sent the file, or expire the file?
If you need to send the Proposal again, or even adjust payment amounts, due dates, payment settings, or agreement language after you've already sent the file, don't worry! You can:
Resend the Proposal in its original form: tap to open the Proposal under the Files tab of the Project, then tap the Resend button.
Edit the file and resend a new version: tap to open the Proposal under the Files tab of the Project, then tap the Pencil icon to edit. You can find more info on editing files you've already sent here!
Expire the file: tap to open the Proposal under the Files tab of the Project, then tap the 3-dot icon in the top right corner and select Payment & Expiration Settings. Tap Expire Proposal, then select Expire Now.
Want to learn more?
Still have questions? Feel free to send us a message by clicking the Question Mark icon on any HoneyBook page. Our team is always happy to help!