The HoneyBook Calendar is the hub through which almost everything in your account—Projects, payments, meetings, etc.—can be tracked and seen at a glance. And with all that you have going on, we also want to make sure that scheduling time with leads, clients, and anyone else you might need is as easy and organized as possible. Enter: Session Types!
Session Types allow you to create the framework for various kinds of meetings, sessions, or events you might schedule regularly, and that generally have similar attributes—durations, available days, meeting instructions, etc.
These can be as simple as chunks of time on your calendar, like 15-minute call, a 30-minute call, and so on; or, you may want to create types that are more specific to your business! You can create Session Types to easily schedule things like intro calls, mini sessions, design consultations, business coaching calls, and more.
With each Session Type, all you need to do is set your availability and share a link to your calendar with anyone who might want to book time with you. Then, clients can simply pick a meeting time that works for them from your real-time availability—you can even sync with your Google Calendar, to make sure all availability is taken into account! Since you’ll have already set the main details of the Session, you get to keep control of your calendar while eliminating the back-and-forth of “when are you free?” emails.
In this article, we’ll review:
Creating a Session Type
You can create any number of Session Types—which, again, are the different kinds of meetings you might schedule—to best suit your business, and each Session Type will have its own set of parameters. For each type, you can customize:
- Session type: indicate whether this is a phone call, in-person meeting, etc.
- Session title: what your event invitees will see as the name of this calendar event
- Session timezone: which timezone this session should be scheduled in
- Session duration: how much time this session will fill in your calendar
- Session window: when in the future this session can be scheduled
- Session instructions: visible to meeting invitees in the session confirmation, reminder emails, and in the calendar event itself
- Session reminders: set up automated reminder messages for your invitees
- Session availability: when you are able to meet for this particular type of session
- Session confirmation: the confirmation message that will appear once a client has scheduled this session
- Session preferences: whether clients are allowed to reschedule or cancel sessions
PLEASE NOTE: Before creating Session Types, make sure you've set the correct time zone for your business in your Company Settings, so all times show correctly!
To create a new Session Type:
1. From your HoneyBook home page, click the Tools menu.
2. Select Calendar.
3. Toggle to the Scheduling view. From here, you can view and editing any existing Session Types, or proceed to the next step to create a new one.
4. Click + New Session Type.
5. Enter the Session’s details:
- Session type: phone call, in-person, video, etc.
- Title of Session: Consultation, Mini Session, 15-minute Call, etc.
- Time zone: which time zone the session will be scheduled in
- Duration: amount of time allotted for session
- Window: when the session can be scheduled*
- Session Color: what color will designate this Session Type in your calendar
- Instructions: what session invitees will see upon scheduling
6. Then, if you’d like, set up automated session reminders. You can add up to two reminders, to be emailed to meeting invitees any number of minutes, hours, days, or weeks before a meeting.
- Check Also send to me if you'd like to receive the reminders as well
- Click the X in the reminder field to remove one or both reminders
7. Click Next: Availability.
8. This is where you can determine which days and hours you'd like to make available for this particular Session Type. Click a day of the week to set availability for that day. Here, you can:
- Set a window (or multiple windows) of time in which this particular session type can be scheduled
- Apply this window(s) to all days (e.g.: all Mondays have availability from 9:00am-11:00am, but all Tuesdays have availability from 1:00pm-3:00pm)
PLEASE NOTE: If you do not check Apply to all [days], this availability will only apply to the specific date you’re editing.
HoneyBook Tip: Make sure you've set the correct time zone for your business in your Company Settings, so all times show correctly!
9. Click Save when you’ve completed the day's availability. Repeat the process for any other days for which you need to add, remove, or edit availability.
HoneyBook Tip: Remember, you can also sync with your Google Calendar to make sure all availability is taken into account when your client sees your open times!
10. Adjust the additional availability settings: buffers, notice, and team members by toggling them on or off. These settings aren't required, but can be helpful!
- Buffers: ensures that extra time is added before or after scheduled meetings—so you have some breathing room. If you set a buffer for 15 minutes after meetings, for example, and you already have a session in place from 9:00-9:30am, your client will not see available time slots prior to 9:45am on that day.
- Notice: designates the minimum amount of time between when a client is looking at your calendar and when they can book a meeting. If you set 3 hours of notice and a client is looking at your calendar at 9:00am today, they will not see any open time slots before 12:00pm in today's availability.
- Team members: selected team members will be assigned externally-scheduled Sessions (and corresponding Projects, created automatically), in a round robin fashion.
11. Click Next: Confirmation.
12. In the Confirmation section, customize the message your client will see upon successfully scheduling this session.
PLEASE NOTE: The gray Session details fields cannot be deleted. They will automatically populate the relevant information based on the details of the scheduled Session.
13. Adjust the additional confirmation settings by toggling them on or off.
- Allow rescheduling: offers your client the option to reschedule a session without contacting you. Selecting this option brings them back to your availability to pick a new meeting time. Upon reschedule, you and your client will both receive an email confirmation, and the event will automatically update in your calendar.
- Allow cancellation: offers your client the option to cancel a session without contacting you. Upon cancellation, you and your client will both receive an email confirmation, and the event will be automatically removed from your calendar.
- Send confirmation email: automatically sends an email confirmation to your client, including the meeting details and an option to add the meeting to their calendar.
14. Once all details have been filled out, click Save and Finish.
15. In your main Scheduling view, you should now see your new Session listed! If you’re ready for clients to begin scheduling this Session Type, make sure the session is toggled to Enabled. You can also click the Eye icon to preview what your client will see, or click the Link icon to copy this Session’s link and start sending it out!
* Window refers to when in the future, or how far in advance, a client might book you for a Session. You can either select Indefinitely, which would enable them to book as far into the future as they'd like; set a Rolling Window of any of number of days, weeks, or months from the current date; or, select a Fixed Date range in which the Session can be booked. For example, if you set a rolling window of 2 months, clients would only be able to see your calendar and book time a maximum of 2 months from today's date.
Editing or deleting a Session Type
1. From your HoneyBook Calendar, toggle to the Scheduling view.
2. Click Edit on the Session Type you’d like to update or delete.
3. To edit, make any changes you need, then click Save and Finish. To delete, click Delete Session.
Want to learn more?
- Sharing your Session Links
- Scheduling & managing Sessions with Clients
- Your clients' experience with scheduling a Session
- Understanding the HoneyBook Calendar
Still have questions? Feel free to send us a message by clicking the Question Mark icon on any HoneyBook page. Our team is always happy to help!