Adding text to your smart file is key to making it yours: add catchy headlines, an about me section, client testimonials—whatever makes sense for you.
This article references smart files, our newest file experience offering more power and customization than ever. Click here to learn more about smart files and add them to your account!
In this article, we’ll cover:
Adding text to an existing block
1. Click the small Plus (+) button within a block, then select Text.
2. Once you’ve added your text, jump here to customize it further!
Adding a new block with text
1. First, find the page where you want the new block with text to go and click the large Plus (+) button, or create a new page.
2. Select Text.
3. Next, choose your preferred text layout. Or, if you'd prefer, you can also just click into your new block to get started customizing it immediately.
HoneyBook Tip: You can try a few different layouts by selecting from the layout gallery while it’s still open; once you’ve clicked the block to start editing, though, you won’t be able to switch to another! (Don’t worry—you can always delete the block you added and try again with a new layout.)
4. Once you’ve added your text, jump here to customize it further!
Reusing text from an existing template
With the reusable blocks and pages feature, you can easily reuse blocks that you’ve already designed and pull them into new smart files.
There are two ways to pull existing text into your new smart file: use reusable pages if you want to pull an entire page containing text from a saved smart file template into your new file.
Or, use reusable blocks if you want to pull in just the content block that the text is part of. We’ll go over those steps below!
To reuse text using reusable blocks:
1. Click the large Plus (+) button to add a new block.
2. Select Text.
3. Select Reuse a content block from a template, then select an existing smart file template to pull in its content.
All of your templates containing blocks with text will appear in this list–you might need to do some scrolling to locate the one containing the text you’d like to reuse.
HoneyBook Tip: When you select a template to pull in its text, the entire content block that contains the text will be added to your new smart file. You can always delete unnecessary elements from the block once you’ve added it!
Customizing your text
1. First, enter any text! The formatting will default to the fonts and colors you set up in your smart file theme settings.
2. To change the formatting, highlight the text to pop open the style menu. Here, you can edit or add things like:
HoneyBook Tip: Highlight individual pieces of text within a block or a text element to format your content exactly how you need—add headers, lists, and more.
3. You can always customize the design of any content block by clicking the block container (outside of the boxes that hold the elements), which will open your block settings. Then:
Select a background color
Adjust the background color opacity
Select a background image from your library, or upload a new one
Customize the content width (S, M, L, or 100%)
Adjust the column spacing by using the scroll bar
Change the top & bottom padding (S, M, L, or Custom)
Remember that you can also:
Upload custom fonts to use in your smart files!
Reuse blocks and pages between smart file templates
Add more content to the block by hovering over an element, and clicking the Plus (+) button above or below it
Rearrange or delete an element by clicking the element itself to display the move or trash can icons
Copy & paste elements or blocks by clicking to highlight the area, then using the Command-C/Command-V (Mac) or Control-C/Control-V (PC) commands to copy and paste
Rearrange or delete entire blocks by clicking the block container (outside of the boxes that hold the elements) to display the move or trash can icons for the block
Add background colors, images, or further customize the formatting of the block by clicking the block container (outside of the boxes that hold the elements)
Want to learn more?
Still have questions? Feel free to send us a message by clicking the Question Mark icon on any HoneyBook page. Our team is always happy to help!