The scene: your client paid by cash or check before you created your HoneyBook file—or before you finished making some changes to the file—so your Invoice or Proposal is still in draft mode... but you have a payment to record!
It's okay—we got this. You can easily mark payments in HoneyBook as paid when your file is in draft mode, and they'll still be tracked in your Reports with all other payments.
When marking a payment as paid while the file is in draft mode, you have two options:
- Delete the existing draft and mark the payment as paid, if you want to discard the changes you made to the file
- Mark the payment as paid and resend the file to your client for their acceptance, if you want to keep the changes you made to the file
To delete a draft version and mark as paid:
1. From your HoneyBook home page, navigate to the Project for which you'll be adjusting the payment.
- You can search for a specific Project via the search icon, or click the Projects tab to review your full list of Projects.
2. Once you've opened your Project, click the Files tab.
3. Locate the Invoice or Proposal you'll be editing, and click to open.
4. Click the Version menu in the toolbar—it should tell you which version of the file you're in, and indicate that it's a Draft.
5. Click the trash can icon next to the most recent draft.
6. When prompted, click Confirm to complete the deletion.
7. You can now mark the payment as paid—without needing to resend the file to your client—by clicking the 3-dot icon.
To resend the file as a new version and mark as paid:
1. Follow steps 1-3 above to locate the file in which you'll be editing a payment.
2. Click the 3-dot icon next to the payment you'll be editing.
3. Select Mark as Paid.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to re-send the file to your client.
- Your client will need to accept the changes to the file before you can proceed.
5. Once your client has accepted the changes, you can head back to the file and manually mark that payment as paid.
Want to learn more?
- Recording a payment made outside of HoneyBook
- HoneyBook payments FAQ
- Send your clients payment reminders
Still have questions? Feel free to send us a message by clicking the Question Mark icon on any HoneyBook page. Our team is always happy to help!