No one loves giving refunds, but HoneyBook knows that sometimes, they're just a part of doing business. That's why, if you're processing all of your payments through HoneyBook, we make the refund process secure and easy.
In most cases, the client payment you want to refund has already been transferred to your bank account, so HoneyBook will need to collect the funds from you (by credit card) to issue the refund. The good news? You don't pay any transaction fees on refunded payments, and we only bill your credit card the amount that was transferred to your bank account. Your client should see the refund—the full amount that they paid—in their account within 8-10 business days.
HoneyBook Tip: This article is a walkthrough of initiating a refund from you to your client, and does not address receiving a refund for any part of your HoneyBook membership. If you need to cancel your HoneyBook account, please send us a message by clicking the Question Mark icon on any HoneyBook page or by emailing [email protected].
Prefer a video walkthrough? We got you. Check it out here.
PLEASE NOTE: Always issue the refund, using the process detailed below, before making any edits to the services or payment schedule. Once the refund is issued, we’ll automatically recalculate the payment schedule for you.
Also, a refund cannot be issued:
- If the payment was made outside of HoneyBook and manually marked as paid (however, you CAN manually mark those payments as refunded if you issued the refund outside of HoneyBook—just for your records!)
- When a file is expired
- When a file is in draft mode. In this case, either resend the file with the edits you've made before refunding, or delete the current draft via the trash can in the draft drop-down menu.
To issue a refund:
1. From your HoneyBook home page, navigate to the Project on which you'll be issuing the refund.
- You can search for a specific Project via the search icon, or select the Projects tab to review your full list of Projects.
2. Once you've opened your Project, you can either locate the specific Invoice or Proposal that contained the payment via your Files tab, or select the Payments tab to quickly view all payments for that Project.
3. From within the file or via the Payments tab, find the payment you'd like to refund and select the 3-dot icon.
4. Select Full / Partial Refund from the menu that appears.
5. In the Refund Amount field of the pop-up, enter the dollar amount you'd like to refund.
- This can either be the full amount of the payment, or a partial amount.
HoneyBook Tip: If you issue a partial refund now, you can can always issue the remaining payment amount (or another partial amount) as a refund at a later date!
6. In the credit card fields of the pop-up, enter your credit card information.
- PLEASE NOTE: the credit card you enter here should be YOUR credit card, not your client's. If you enter your client's card at this stage, they will be billed instead of refunded!
7. When you're ready, select the Refund button. Done!
Now, if you need to make corresponding edits to the services or payment schedule, you can do so, and resend the file to your client.
Want to learn more?
Still have questions? Feel free to send us a message by clicking the Question Mark icon on any HoneyBook page. Our team is always happy to help!