Whether you want to include images to showcase your work, or simply as a background to make your smart file pop, adding and editing images is simple.
Adding an image to an existing block
1. Click the small Plus (+) button within a block, then select Image.
2. Select an image from your Library, or click the Upload tab to upload a brand new image.
3. Once you’ve added your image, jump here to customize it further!
Adding a new block with an image
1. First, find the page where you want the new block with an image to go and click the large Plus (+) button, or create a new page.
2. Select Image.
3. Next, choose your preferred image layout. Or, if you'd prefer, you can also just click into your new block to get started customizing it immediately.
HoneyBook Tip: You can try a few different layouts by selecting from the layout gallery while it’s still open; once you’ve clicked the block to start editing, though, you won’t be able to switch to another! (Don’t worry—you can always delete the block you added and try again with a new layout.)
4. Once you’ve added your image, jump here to customize it further!
Reusing an image from an existing template
With the reusable blocks and pages feature, you can easily reuse blocks that you’ve already designed in new smart files.
There are two ways to pull an existing image into your new smart file: use reusable pages if you want to pull an entire page containing an image (or images) from a saved smart file template into your new file.
Or, use reusable blocks if you want to pull in just the content block that an image (or images) is part of. We’ll go over those steps below!
To reuse an image using reusable blocks:
1. Click the large Plus (+) button to add a new block.
2. Select Image.
3. Select Reuse a content block from a template, then select an existing smart file template to pull in its content.
All of your templates containing content blocks with images will appear in this list–you might need to do some scrolling to locate the one containing the image you’d like to reuse.
HoneyBook Tip: When you select a template to pull in its image(s), the entire content block that contains the image(s) will be added to your new smart file. You can always delete unnecessary elements from the block once you’ve added it!
Customizing your images
1. Once you’ve added an image, you can:
Replace the image with another from your library, or with a new upload
Crop the image by dragging the border, selecting a preset ratio, or cropping into a circle
Adjust the corner radius to give image corners a rounded look
Adjust the opacity of the image
Adjust the image alignment
HoneyBook Tip: Accidentally click out of the image settings? Just click the image you’d like to edit again!
2. You can always customize the design of any content block by clicking the block container (outside of the boxes that hold the elements), which will open your block settings. Then:
Select a background color
Adjust the background color opacity
Select a background image from your Library, or upload a new one
Customize the content width (S, M, L, or 100%)
Adjust the column spacing by using the scroll bar
Change the top & bottom padding (S, M, L, or Custom)
Remember that you can also:
Reuse blocks and pages between smart file templates
Add more content to the block by hovering over an element, and clicking the Plus (+) button above or below it
Rearrange or delete an element by clicking the element itself to display the move or trash can icons
Copy & paste elements or blocks by clicking to highlight the area, then using the Command-C/Command-V (Mac) or Control-C/Control-V (PC) commands to copy and paste
Rearrange or delete entire blocks by clicking the block container (outside of the boxes that hold the elements) to display the move or trash can icons for the block
Add background colors, images, or further customize the formatting of the block by clicking the block container (outside of the boxes that hold the elements)
Adding an image as the background of a block
If you’d like to up the visual interest even further and add an image as a full block or the background of a block, here’s how!
HoneyBook Tip: Looking to set the background image for a full page of a smart file instead? Check out how below!
To add an image as the background of a block:
1. Once you’ve added a block, click on the block container (outside of the boxes that hold the elements) to open the block settings.
2. Click Choose next to Background Image.
3. Select an image from your Library, or click Upload to upload something brand new.
4. From there, you can click Replace to choose a new image, Crop to adjust the view, or change the opacity of the image.
HoneyBook Tip: Want to add a full-width image without any content over it? Just add a divider block and repeat the steps above to add an image as the background of the block!
Adding an image as the background of a page
You can also set a full-page background image!
To add an image as the background of a page:
1. Open the Pages menu by clicking the pages icon at the top of the builder.
2. Hover over the page you'd like to edit, then click the gear icon.
3. Click Choose next to Page background image.
4. Select an image from your library, or click Upload to upload something brand new.
5. From there, you can click Replace to choose a new image, Crop to adjust the view of the current image, or change the opacity of the image.
HoneyBook Tip: To make sure your smart file's content is easily readable over the background image, try any combination of the following tips:
Adjust the background image's opacity
Overlay a page background color, then adjust the color's opacity
Set background colors for specific blocks by following the steps above to access a block's settings, then selecting a background color for the block and adjusting the opacity
Adding a header image
Need to add an image as the header of a smart file, or for any individual page?
Easy! Just add that image as the background of a block (as detailed in the section above), which will ensure that the image stretches across the page. From there, you can add elements on top of the image if necessary, or just leave it as an image-only header.
You can adjust the height of the header by changing the Top & Bottom Padding settings in the block's settings.
Still have questions? Feel free to send us a message by clicking the Question Mark icon on any HoneyBook page. Our team is always happy to help!