To make sure that every piece of information you collect in HoneyBook is relevant to you and your business, you can create custom Project Details fields within your Company Settings!
Once you have your custom fields set up, these fields make it easy to record the exact details you need, review them as necessary, and even apply them to other elements of HoneyBook, like Contracts and Proposals. You can even add fields for multiple dates and multiple locations within individual Projects, to account for any that go beyond the scope of one single "due date."
In this article, we’ll review:
- Creating custom Project Details
- Accessing & editing Project Details within a Project
- Using custom Project Details in files
Creating custom Project Details
Though your account will come with a few required default details fields (Project name, type, date, etc.), you can always add more fields to suit the information your business need to collect!
PLEASE NOTE: Account Owners and Admins are the only users who will have the capability to customize Project Details. Within a Project, team members will be able to edit the details for a specific Project, but not to customize the fields themselves.
To create custom Project Fields:
1. From any page, click your profile photo in the top right corner of your screen.
2. Select Company Settings from the menu.
3. Select the Preferences tab.
4. Next to Project Details, click Edit.
5. Click Add to add a new Project Details field.
6. Enter the field name.
PLEASE NOTE: For the moment, fields can only be in short text format.
- HoneyBook Tip: You can delete any fields you've added by hovering over a section and clicking the trash can icon on the right. Currently, however, the default fields cannot be edited or deleted.
7. When you’ve added all necessary fields, click Save!
PLEASE NOTE: If you have existing Projects in your Pipeline, adding a new field will only affect Projects you create moving forward — it will not be accessible in those existing Projects.
Accessing & editing Project Details in a Project
Now, when you're creating a new Project, you can use your custom fields (along with the default fields) to collect the information that you need. You can also add additional dates and locations to the individual Project from the Details tab!
To edit the details of an individual Project:
1. Find the Project that requires editing: you can search via the search icon in the top left corner of your Home page, or select the Projects tab to review your full list of Projects.
2. Once in the Project's Workspace, click the Details tab.
3. Click any field to edit the detail in question!
- HoneyBook Tip: Scroll down in the Details tab to find your Private Details! Here, you can add timestamped notes that are only visible to you and your team members — not your clients!
4. To create an additional date and location, click Add Date. You'll be prompted to input the Date title (i.e. the description of what is happening on that date), the date itself, and the time (if applicable).
- You can also add an end date for that "event" by clicking Add end date
- Add a location for that event by clicking Add Location. You can give the location a title and an address.
Everything will save automatically. And don’t worry — even if you added some Project Details as you were creating your Project, none of them are set in stone! You can always add, edit, or remove details down the road.
Using custom Project Details in files
With your new Project Details in place, you can now use these fields to enhance your Contracts and Proposals, as adding custom fields in your Company Settings will automatically add those fields to your bank for custom Contract Fields as well!
For more info on automatically pulling Project Details into your Proposals and Contracts, check out this video. Your newly added fields can be found under the Customized Fields header in the Contract Fields drop-down menu (or, just start typing in the field name to search).
Want to learn more?
- Adding a new Project
- Can I create templates for my files?
- What is the the Project Pipeline?
- How do I get paid through HoneyBook?
Still have questions? Feel free to send us a message by clicking the Question Mark icon on any HoneyBook page. Our team is always happy to help!