HoneyBook's raison d'etre is to make the process of booking clients easier for you and easier for them, and the payment process is a huge part of the experience.
That's why we offer several payment options, so you can decide what works best for your business. And since clients are like snowflakes, and no two are quite the same, you can change your payment options on a file-by-file basis.
PLEASE NOTE: Payment settings will not be visible when building Invoice Templates or Proposal Templates; you'll only see these settings in the context of sending a live file. Once you've applied a Template to a Project (or built a new file from scratch within a Project), you'll have the option to adjust the payment options on a file-by-file basis when sending the Invoice or Proposal to a client.
To edit the payment options on an Invoice or Proposal:
1. From within your file, click the Gear icon in the top right corner of your screen to open the File Drawer.
2. From the Options tab of the File Drawer, you can choose to update several things:
- Allow Gratuity: toggle this on to allow your clients to add a tip to their payments.
- Enable Payment By: choose whether your clients can pay by credit card, bank transfer, or either. Most members leave both options on, so their clients can decide. Learn more about payment options here.
- Set to Auto-Pay: set up auto-pay to automatically charge your client on the appropriate due dates. Your client will need to agree to this before auto-pay takes effect.
PLEASE NOTE: If a client makes a payment via ACH bank transfer, that payment will need to fully process (with the payment status moving from Pending to Paid in HoneyBook) before a subsequent payment can be made. This may take 7-8 business days, so be aware of this when creating your payment schedule.
In addition, at the moment, we cannot process ACH Bank Transfers for Canada-based members — only credit card payments can be accepted for these accounts at the moment. We're hoping to expand this functionality in the future, though!
3. When your client receives the file and proceeds to the payment options, they'll now be able to make their payment using whatever settings you saved.
- For example, the image below shows the client-side view of payment options that allow both credit card and bank transfer, have turned gratuity on, and have set up auto-pay.
Want to learn more?
- I do not want to accept payments through HoneyBook — can I turn them off?
- What payment methods can my clients use through HoneyBook?
- How to remove a previously saved payment method
- Marking a cash or check payment as paid in HoneyBook
- Editing a file that's already been sent
Still have questions? Feel free to send us a message by clicking the Question Mark icon on any HoneyBook page. Our team is always happy to help!