While you're not able to actually issue a refund on a payment that came in outside of HoneyBook—whether it came in via cash, check, Venmo, PayPal, or another method—you may have manually marked that payment as paid in your HoneyBook account, and now need to mark it as refunded! Here's how to track refunds that occur outside of HoneyBook.
HoneyBook Tip: If you need to just undo marking a payment as paid rather than marking a payment as refunded, follow the same steps below until step 5. From the menu in that step, just select Undo mark as paid instead of refunding!
This article references smart files, our newest file experience offering more power and customization than ever. Click here to learn more about smart files and add them to your account!
To issue and track a refund on a payment you've manually marked as paid:
1. Issue your refund—for anything not transacted through HoneyBook, this will need to be done outside of HoneyBook.
HoneyBook Tip: To protect your business, we recommend directly refunding the original payment, through the original payment method. You can accept credit card and bank transfer payments directly through HoneyBook. If a payment came in through one of those methods, here's how to issue the refund through HoneyBook.
2. From your HoneyBook home page, navigate to the project on which you'll be marking a payment as refunded.
You can search for a specific project via the search icon, or select the projects tab to review your full list of projects.
3. Once you've opened your project, locate the smart file that contains the payment via the Activity or Files tab, and click to open.
4. Locate the Action Summary section, find the payment you'd like to refund, and select the 3-dot icon.
5. Select Mark as refund from the menu that appears.
6. Enter the refund method, amount, and date, then click Mark as Refunded.
PLEASE NOTE: Once you mark a payment as refunded, you won't be able to make any further adjustments to the payment.
Now, the payment's status will appear as Refunded to both you and your client within the project, and the refund will also be tracked in your Bookkeeping section.
Want to learn more?
Still have questions? Feel free to send us a message by clicking the Question Mark icon on any HoneyBook page. Our team is always happy to help!