Adding videos to your smart files allows you to fully showcase your brand and make the client experience within a file that much more dynamic; it's perfect for adding things like intro videos, past project examples, client testimonials, and more!
You can even pull pages and blocks of your templates that include videos into other smart files, allowing you to reuse the content and save yourself time.
This article references smart files, our newest file experience offering more power and customization than ever. Click here to learn more about smart files and add them to your account!
In this article, we’ll cover:
Adding a video to an existing block
1. Click the small Plus (+) button within a block, then select Video.
2. Add the URL of your video in the Video URL field. You can include a video hosted on YouTube, Vimeo, or Wistia.
3. Once you’ve added your video, jump here to customize it further!
Adding a new block with video
1. First, find the page where you want the new block with a video to go and click the large Plus (+) button, or create a new page.
2. Select Video.
3. Next, choose your preferred video layout. Or, if you'd prefer, you can also just click into your new block to get started customizing it immediately.
HoneyBook Tip: You can try a few different layouts by selecting from the layout gallery while it’s still open; once you’ve clicked the block to start editing, though, you won’t be able to switch to another! (Don’t worry—you can always delete the block you added and try again with a new layout.)
4. Add the URL of your video in the Video URL field. You can include a video hosted on YouTube, Vimeo, or Wistia.
5. Once you’ve added your video, jump here to customize it further!
Reusing a video from an existing template
With the reusable blocks and pages feature, you can easily reuse blocks that you’ve already designed in new smart files.
There are two ways to pull an existing video into your new smart file: use reusable pages if you want to pull an entire page containing a video from a saved smart file template into your new file.
Or, use reusable blocks if you want to pull in just the content block that the video is part of. We’ll go over those steps below!
To reuse a video using reusable blocks:
1. Click the large Plus (+) button to add a new block.
2. Select Video.
3. Select Reuse a content block from a template, then select an existing smart file template to pull in its content.
All of your templates containing content blocks with video will appear in this list–you might need to do some scrolling to locate the one containing the video you’d like to reuse.
HoneyBook Tip: When you select a template to pull in its video, the entire content block that contains the video will be added to your new smart file. You can always delete unnecessary elements from the block once you’ve added it.
Customizing your videos
1. Once you’ve added a video, adjust the settings, if necessary, to determine how your clients will see the video. You can:
Choose whether they see full video controls beyond just pause and play
Set whether the video plays automatically when they open this page of the smart file
Set whether the video will loop
HoneyBook Tip: Be sure to click the Preview button in the top right corner, so you can see exactly what your client will experience!
2. You can always customize the design of any content block by clicking the block container (outside of the boxes that hold the elements), which will open your block settings. Then:
Select a background color
Adjust the background color opacity
Select a background image from your Library, or upload a new one
Customize the content width (S, M, L, or 100%)
Adjust the column spacing by using the scroll bar
Change the top & bottom padding (S, M, L, or Custom)
Remember that you can also:
Reuse blocks and pages between smart file templates
Add more content to the block by hovering over an element, and clicking the Plus (+) button above or below it
Rearrange or delete an element by clicking the element itself to display the move or trash can icons
Copy & paste elements or blocks by clicking to highlight the area, then using the Command-C/Command-V (Mac) or Control-C/Control-V (PC) commands to copy and paste
Rearrange or delete entire blocks by clicking the block container (outside of the boxes that hold the elements) to display the move or trash can icons for the block
Add background colors, images, or further customize the formatting of the block by clicking the block container (outside of the boxes that hold the elements)
If your video is not embedding properly, check that:
The video is not listed as private
If hosted on Youtube, you've allowed embedding under the video details:
Want to learn more?
Still have questions? Feel free to send us a message by clicking the Question Mark icon on any HoneyBook page. Our team is always happy to help!