Sometimes, a payment due date just slips a client's mind. We get it. They're human, too — but we don't want that leading to extra work for you! To make sure you get paid on time, you can use HoneyBook to send your clients quick payment reminder emails. This can be set up to occur automatically for all clients, or, if you'd rather control who gets reminders and when, you can manually send reminders instead.
PLEASE NOTE: By default, all payment reminders, except milestone based due dates, will be turned on, and will contain default email language — here's how to edit the messaging and turn them off, though. The available payment reminders include:
- 7 days before a payment is due
- Day-of the payment due date (if payment has not been made)
- 2 days after the payment was due (if payment has not been made)
- Recurring payments / auto-pay (1 day before due date)
PLEASE NOTE: Milestone based due dates have manual payment reminders no matter what, as the request for payment itself is manual. If you would like to send a manual payment reminder for your Milestone based due date please review the instructions immediately below on sending manual payment reminders.
If you currently have reminders turned off but would like to send one manually, or if you'd like to send an additional reminder to a client:
1. From your HoneyBook home page, navigate to the Project for which you'll be sending the reminder.
- You can search for a specific Project via the search icon, or click the Projects tab to review your full list of Projects.
2. Once you've opened your Project, click the Files tab.
3. Find and select the Invoice or Proposal containing the payment for which you'd like to send a reminder.
PLEASE NOTE: If you're looking at a Proposal and the Contract portion has not been signed, it is not yet considered "booked" and payment reminders can not be sent. Once your client signs the Contract, you'll be able to send reminders!
4. Scroll down to the Payment Plan section.
5. Find the payment in need of a reminder, and click the 3-dot icon.
6. Select Send payment reminder.
This will automatically send an email to all participants involved in the Project.
PLEASE NOTE: You will not be able to edit the text of the reminder email through this process. The email that sends will pull the payment reminder language based on when the reminder is being sent:
- Sent before payment due date: Upcoming reminder
- Sent on payment due date: Payment Due Date reminder
- Sent past payment due date: Outstanding reminder
Want to learn more?
- Turning payment reminders off
- Connecting your bank account to HoneyBook
- Setting up automatic recurring payments
Still have questions? Feel free to send us a message by clicking the Question Mark icon on any HoneyBook page. Our team is always happy to help!