Whether it's the off-season, a local or world event that's making it difficult to offer your services at this exact moment, or you just think you could benefit from another revenue stream (and who couldn't?), creating and sharing a gift card allows you to extend your offerings beyond the here and now.
By creating a gift card in HoneyBook and sharing it in emails, on your website, via social channels, and more, you allow clients—old and new—to purchase now and redeem later.
Prefer a video walkthrough? We got you! Check it out here.
In this article, we'll cover:
- Reasons to create & share gift cards
- The elements of gift card flows
- Creating your gift card & flow in HoneyBook
- What happens when someone purchases a gift card?
- What do I do when a client is ready to redeem their gift card?
Reasons to create & share gift cards
Since gift cards allow you to make sales now and have clients redeem for your services later, they're perfect for those times when you need to improve your cash flow but can't, for whatever reason, add to your immediate workload.
Why offer gift cards?
- Create a new revenue source that's not dependent on external blockers or current bandwidth
- Let existing clients support you—they already love you and may know they want to work with you again, even if they don't need your services right now!
- Let new clients find you—you can even offer new customer discounts!
What kinds of gift cards can I create?
- Gift cards for a certain amount, much like a traditional gift card where a client can purchase $100 now to spend later
- Gift cards for specific services, allowing you to promote particular goods or services that clients can come back later to redeem
- Promotions for your business, offering discounts on certain amounts or specific services, or aligning with other business goals (like encouraging clients purchase before a particular date, highlighting a certain area of your business, etc).
Learn more about how and where to share links to your gift cards here! Or, maybe you need a little guidance on how to tell your clients you offer gift cards now? Check out some example language to promote your new offerings here!
The elements of gift card flows
Similar to Brochures or Contact Forms, your gift card flows are made up of blocks: a Gift Card Block and a Terms & Conditions Block, in addition to optional Question and Content Blocks. Your Gift Card Block and Terms & Conditions Block are the only two required pieces.
The Gift Card Block is where you'll create the gift card offer itself. You can choose what the gift card is for (a particular dollar amount set by you, a dollar amount that the client can select, or a particular item/service that you offer); whether the gift card has a discount associated; and the imagery/look of the gift card. This block is required.
The Terms & Conditions Block is a type of Content Block that includes baseline language detailing a terms & conditions and a redemption policy, but should be reviewed and updated based on the laws for the state in which you do business. You can learn more about creating your terms & conditions here. This block is required.
Question Blocks can utilize Suggested or Custom Questions. Suggested questions are those that HoneyBook recommends gathering answers for, such as your client’s name and contact info. Adding suggested questions ensures that answers will automatically populate into the Project Details fields of the Inquiry that gets created.
Custom questions are just that—yours to customize! You can request any information within the question formats we provide. Answers to custom questions will not automatically populate in any Project Details fields, however.
Content Blocks can utilize Text, which can be formatted with standard options such as font, size, color, alignment, etc. by highlighting the text and making edits; Images, which can be uploaded on the fly, or selected from your Library of previously-uploaded images; or, combinations in various formats!
Creating your gift card & flow in HoneyBook
1. From your HoneyBook home page, click the Tools menu.
2. Select Gift Cards from the menu.
3. You can work off of the default gift card flow we provide, or create a new one by clicking the Gift Card icon in the sidebar, then selecting Add Gift Card.
4. Choose the type of gift card you'd like to create. You can choose:
- An amount-based gift card, which allows clients to simply purchase a certain dollar amount to put towards a project with you later
- A service-based gift card, which allows clients to purchase a specific service with you
HoneyBook Tip: Both types of gift cards can be offered with discounts, or at full price!
5. Name your gift card by clicking the title in the top left corner. This is just for your internal use!
6. Now, begin creating or editing your gift card and the flow your clients will experience. You can edit or remove any pre-populated Question or Content Blocks by hovering over the block to display edit options. Then, you can:
- Highlight text to edit the content, font, text color, etc.
- Choose images
- Click the trash can icon to delete blocks entirely
HoneyBook Tip: You can rearrange the order of your blocks by hovering over a block, and using the 6-dot icon on the left to drag and drop. You can also delete a block by hovering over a block and clicking the trash can icon on the right.
7. To customize things like fonts, text size and color, background colors, etc. for the entire flow, click the Design icon in your sidebar.
From the Colors section, you can customize:
- Font color for the whole gift card flow
- Your questions' input border color
- Your questions' input background color
- Your submit button's text color
- Your submit button's background color
- Entire gift card flow's background color
From the Font section, you can customize:
- Font style for all text (text within Content blocks can also be individually formatted by highlighting)
- Text size for question text & submit button
- Bold/not bold for question text & submit button
8. In the Gift Card Block, you'll see your virtual gift card! Hover over the block and click the image icon to select the background image for your gift card.
- Image content can be uploaded on the fly, or selected from your Library of previously-uploaded images.
9. Then, in the same Gift Card Block, click the gear icon to adjust the settings of the gift card. You can adjust:
- The gift card title: optional text that will appear on the gift card
- Gift card amount/default amount: dollar amount that the gift card will be redeemed for, or that will appear as the default when clients can select their own amount
- Whether client can customize the amount: allow client to choose a gift card of any amount, or toggle Limit Custom Amount ON to set a min and/or max amount
- Text color: how the title & amount will appear—make sure the text color stands out from the background image!
- Discount amount: toggle ON to offer a discount (either a percentage, or a set dollar amount)
HoneyBook Tip: Want to sell a gift card for a particular service, instead of an amount? Just add the service name as the title of the gift card (or make a note of the service in one of your Content Blocks), change the amount to reflect the price of the service, and add a discount if you need!
10. Create the rest of your gift card flow as necessary. You can remove blocks with the trash can icon, or add more blocks by hovering over an existing block and clicking the plus (+) button that appears at the bottom. You can include:
- Additional image content via a Content Block, which can be uploaded on the fly, or selected from your Library of previously-uploaded images
- Text content via a Content Block, which can be formatted with standard options such as font, size, color, alignment, etc. by highlighting the text in question and making your edits
- Image/text combination blocks
- Suggested questions via a Question Block, which ensures that answers will automatically populate into the Project Details fields of the Inquiry that gets created
- Custom questions via a Question Block, through which you can request any information within the question formats we provide
HoneyBook Tip: Click the gear icon that appears when you hover over a question to toggle whether or not the question is required. Clients will not be able to submit their request for a gift card if a required question is left unanswered.
11. Review your Terms & Conditions Block, and update as necessary. You can learn more about creating your terms and conditions here.
PLEASE NOTE: This block is required and cannot be deleted. However, the text can and should be edited to reflect the laws of your state and the policies of your individual business.
12. Before publishing, be sure to check your gift card flow's Settings, where you can choose which team members should be notified of incoming gift card inquiries. Under Incoming Leads Recipients, click Select Team Members. Then, you can choose to assign:
- A Project owner: this selection is required, and will be denoted with a crown icon. Selecting a Project owner will automatically notify them of new gift card Inquiries via email, as well as assign Inquiries from this gift card to the owner. There can only be one Project owner selected per gift card flow.
- Workspace participants: these team members will receive all incoming Inquiry notifications via email, and will also be automatically added as participants to the newly created Projects. You can add multiple team members as Workspace participants.
- Leads recipient: these team members will receive all incoming Inquiry notifications via email, but they will not be able to access or act upon the Projects that the gift card submissions create. You can add multiple team members as Leads recipients.
HoneyBook Tip: Haven't added your team members yet? Here's how!
13. When you're ready, click Publish.
Now, the link to your gift card will be live and you can start sharing it with the public!
What happens when someone purchases a gift card?
Your client's gift card purchasing process will happen in two steps: first, they'll enter their contact information, and any other info you've requested in your gift card flow. Then, they'll receive an email which will prompt them to complete the process by entering their payment information.
You will be alerted—via email, and an in-app notification—when each step is completed.
A Project and a contact will also be created in HoneyBook when your client submits their initial information. Since the Project is meant to just house the gift card, and you'll likely create a new Project when the client wants to redeem down the line, the Project associated with the gift card will not be tracked in your Project Pipeline unless you manually change the stage of the Project. You can find the Project by searching the client's name via the search icon on your home page, or by using the gift card filters in your Contacts tab.
Want to learn more about your clients' experience purchasing gift cards? You can find more info here!
What do I do when a client is ready to redeem their gift card?
When your client is ready to redeem their gift card, they'll need to reach out to you to let you know, as they cannot apply a gift card code from their side. (Here's what clients will experience on their end, by the way!)
Once you hear from them, here's how to proceed:
1. When the client reaches out to move forward using their gift card, you will create a Project in HoneyBook, just as you might for any other lead.
HoneyBook Tip: You'll want to create a new Project (instead of working off of the Project that the gift card created) in order to keep everything clean and separate, and in case the client winds up using the gift card code for multiple Projects! You can just leave the gift card Project and Invoice as is.
2. Determine what services/items they'd like to purchase (and if they're not sure, just send a Brochure!).
3. Make sure to clarify with them which gift card code they'll be using. They should be able to find this in the confirmation email they received when they completed their purchase, and you can confirm that the code is valid by searching for the client in your Contacts tab, per the instructions in the previous section.
5. In the Totals section, you'll see a Gift Card line item. Simply click Apply, and enter the gift card code.
6. This will deduct the value of the gift card from the Invoice total. Now, you can send your file to your client!
Now, if the amount of the gift card fully covers or exceeds the amount of the Invoice to which it's applied, that Invoice will be complete and the client will not have to pay any remaining balance! In addition, if there's more value on the gift card, they'll be able to use the remainder on another service or Project with you down the line.
If the amount of the gift card does NOT fully cover the amount of the Invoice, the gift card value will be deducted from the Invoice total and the client will be responsible for the remainder. They'll be taken through the standard payment process to complete that payment.
Want to learn more?
- Understanding gift card regulations and creating your terms & conditions
- Your clients' experience buying and redeeming gift cards
- Sharing and tracking the status of your gift cards
- Promoting gift cards to your clients—some example language!
- Deactivating a gift card
Still have questions? Feel free to send us a message by clicking the Question Mark icon on any HoneyBook page. Our team is always happy to help!