Growing Your Business, Lesson 1: Setting Up for Business Growth
Section 1: Building blocks: Package & email Templates
Lesson 1: Setting Up for Business Growth
- Section 1: Building blocks: email & package Templates
- Section 2: Showcase your services: Brochure Templates
- Section 3: Get booked fast: Invoice, Contract, & Proposal Templates
- Section 4: Uploading your branding & assets
- Section 5: Customizing lead sources & Project types
- Section 6: Adding your bank account info
We know. It’s tempting to jump right to the part where clients are signing and paying. But trust us: a little up-front setup is going to majorly set you up for success in the long run, keeping you organized and saving you time down the line. And time is money, after all.
In Lesson 1 (6 sections), we’ll review some key steps to take to make sure that your HoneyBook account has all its ducks in a row.
Ready? Lesson 1, Section 1 begins below!
Templates are one of the great efficiencies that HoneyBook has to offer. From files, to emails, to pricing, we allow you to save your commonly used stuff and easily insert it into future Projects... because copying and pasting a million things every time you find a new client is less than fun.
Once you've created a Template for a particular element of your workflow, you can apply it to any Project with a few clicks. When creating a new file, for example, you'll have the option to quickly choose a Template to work off of.
Remember, creating Templates is a great place to start when you’re initially setting up your account, but it’s not a one-time thing! You can always add more Templates later, edit existing Templates, or remove Templates that are no longer relevant. It’s totally flexible!
All Templates will be created and stored in your Templates section. To get there, just select the Tools menu from your top navigation bar, then Templates.
In this section, we'll review:
HoneyBook Tip: Since Packages are the building blocks for your other Templates—like Brochures, Invoices, and Proposals—we recommend creating Package Templates before starting on any file Templates!
In a business, certain services go hand in hand. Instead of taking the time to add these individually to every file, group items or services into Package Templates. Packages are the building blocks for your other Templates—like Brochures, Invoices, and Proposals—so we recommend creating Package Templates first!
Once you've created a few, use them to build your other files with a just few clicks, adding that set of items in one fell swoop. You can always edit them once they've been added to a file.
From within your Package Templates section:
1. Click the tab on the left side of the screen to open the File Drawer, then click Add Template.
2. Click on the title to update the name of the Package.
HoneyBook Tip: Naming your Templates makes it easy to find what you’re looking for in the future!
3. Click Add New Item to add a service to the Package, and click any detail field (quantity, price, tax, etc.) to edit. You can:
- Create a brand new item by typing in the item name
- Choose from recently used items, if you've already added some in other Projects.
HoneyBook Tip: You can also rearrange the order of items: the 6-dot icon that appears on the left side of the item indicates a drag-and-drop!
4. To price the Package as a whole, rather than as an itemized cost list, edit the price in the Package title line and remove prices from the individual items.
Every file in HoneyBook is sent out with an accompanying email, and we know that writing the same few sentences over and over can get tiresome real quick. Save your most-used email lingo as Templates for easy access!
From your email Templates section:
1. You can work off of any default Template provided, or start from scratch by clicking the tab on the left side of the screen to open the File Drawer, then clicking Add Template.
PLEASE NOTE: Email Templates labeled as Default cannot be deleted; these are the default emails that will go out with the corresponding file types. However, the text and formatting of these defaults CAN be edited, so feel free to adjust them to meet your needs!
2. Create your Template! From the email edit screen, you can:
- Edit the Template name
- Change the email subject line
- Add a dynamic field for your client's first name *
- Edit the content of the email
- Format the text with bolding, underlining, etc.
- Hyperlink text
- Add your email signature
All changes will save automatically, so you're good to go whenever you're finished with your edits—and you can now use your Template whenever you're sending an email.
* PLEASE NOTE: At the moment, Client First Name is the only dynamic field available for emails.
Also, you are currently not able to include attachments within email Templates. You can always add them individually when you're sending the email off, though!
In the next section, Showcase Your Services with Brochure Templates, we'll continue our review of Templates; this time, walking through how to create the ultimate brand showcase with a Brochure file!
Have questions? Feel free to send us a message by clicking the Question Mark icon on any HoneyBook page. Our team is always happy to help!