HoneyBook 101, Lesson 5: Sending Files & Managing Payments
Section 2: Managing payment changes & refunds
Changes happen and projects evolve, so you may find yourself needing to make adjustments on payments—whether that’s editing the amounts or dates of a payment schedule you’ve already sent to a client, or refunding them for a payment they’ve already made.
Luckily, if you need to make changes, you can easily update Invoices and Proposals after they've been sent, then simply send a new version to your client. And refunds are just as simple!
In this section, we’ll review:
Editing a payment schedule
To edit an Invoice, Contract, or Proposal:
1. From your HoneyBook home page, navigate to the Project for which you'll be editing a file.
- You can search for a specific Project via the search icon, or select the Projects tab to review your full list of Projects.
2. Find the file in question by selecting the Files tab, then clicking to open the file.
3. Click the Edit button in the top right corner of your screen to begin updating.
4. You'll see a new menu appear under the file title, indicating you're now working on Version 2 (or any further version) of the file. You can make any adjustments to the file now.
- You can also use this Version menu to toggle back to view previous versions of the file, if you ever need them for reference!
5. Make any edits you need—you can add or remove from the list of services you're charging for, edit the payment schedule, update the contract language, etc.
6. Click the Resend [File Type] button in the top right corner of your screen when you're finished editing the file.
7. Review or edit the email that will be sent with the file, and click Send. This will send the new version of the file to your client.
HoneyBook Tip: If your client has already signed or made a payment on the original file, they'll be prompted to click Accept Changes in the file in order to proceed.
When the client accepts the changes, you'll receive an email notification, and will also see that the most recent draft is marked as Accepted in the draft drop-down menu within the file itself.
Refunding a HoneyBook payment
If you accepted a payment through HoneyBook, either via credit card or ACH bank transfer, it’s easy to issue a full or partial refund right through the platform!
PLEASE NOTE: Always issue the refund before making any edits to the services or payment schedule. Once the refund is issued, we’ll automatically recalculate the payment schedule for you.
To issue a refund:
1. From your HoneyBook home page, navigate to the Project on which you'll be issuing the refund.
2. Once you've opened your Project, you can either locate the specific Invoice or Proposal that contained the payment via your Files tab, or select the Payments tab to quickly view all payments for that Project.
3. From within the file or via the Payments tab, find the payment you'd like to refund and select the 3-dot icon.
4. Select Full / Partial Refund from the menu that appears.
5. In the Refund Amount field of the pop-up, enter the dollar amount you'd like to refund.
- This can either be the full amount of the payment, or a partial amount.
6. In the credit card fields of the pop-up, enter your credit card information.
- PLEASE NOTE: the credit card you enter here should be YOUR credit card, not your client's. If you enter your client's card at this stage, they will be billed instead of refunded!
7. When you're ready, select the Refund button. Done!
Now, if you need to make corresponding edits to the services or payment schedule, you can do so using the instructions above, then resend the file to your client.
PLEASE NOTE: a refund cannot be issued:
- If the payment was made outside of HoneyBook and manually marked as paid (however, you CAN manually mark those payments as refunded if you issued the refund outside of HoneyBook—just for your records! This process is detailed below.)
- When a file is expired
- When a file is in draft mode. In this case, either resend the file with the edits you've made before refunding, or delete the current draft via the trash can in the draft drop-down menu.
- When 90 days has passed since an ACH payment was made. Credit card payments may be refunded at any time but ACH payments have a 90 day refund window.
Refunding a non-HoneyBook payment
While you're not able to actually issue a refund on a payment that came in outside of HoneyBook—whether it came in via cash, check, Venmo, PayPal, or another method—you may have manually marked that payment as paid in your HoneyBook account, and now need to mark it as refunded! Here's how to track refunds that occur outside of HoneyBook.
HoneyBook Tip: If you need to just undo marking a payment as paid rather than marking a payment as refunded, follow the same steps below until Step 5. From the menu in that step, just select Undo Mark as Paid instead of refunding!
To issue and track a refund on a payment you've manually marked as paid:
1. Issue your refund through the original payment method—for anything not transacted through HoneyBook, this will need to be done outside of HoneyBook.
2. From your HoneyBook home page, navigate to the Project on which you'll be marking a payment as refunded.
3. Once you've opened your Project, you can either locate the specific Invoice or Proposal that contained the payment via your Files tab, or select the Payments tab to quickly view all payments for that Project.
4. From within the file or via the Payments tab, find the payment you'd like to refund and select the 3-dot icon.
5. Select Full / Partial Refund from the menu that appears.
6. Enter the amount that you refunded through the original payment method, then click Mark as Refunded.
Now, the payment's status will appear as Refunded to both you and your client within the Project, and the refund will also be tracked in your Bookkeeping section.
Congratulations! You made it through your HoneyBook 101 Orientation course—we’re so proud!
Try our advanced course, Growing Your Business with HoneyBook! While you'll see some familiar information there, you'll also get a deep-dive on how to set up for growth and how to set up the tools that get you booked early and often.
Or, check out our HB102 webinars for live walkthroughs of topics like transitioning your existing business to HoneyBook, setting up Contact Forms and Workflows, creating Brochures, and managing payments.
And, of course, you can always check out our Help Center for on-the-fly answers or get in touch with our Concierge support by clicking the Question Mark icon on any HoneyBook page. Our team is always happy to help!