While you're not able to actually issue a refund on a payment that came in outside of HoneyBook — whether it came in via cash, check, Venmo, PayPal, or another method — you may have manually marked that payment as paid in your HoneyBook account, and now need to mark it as refunded! Here's how to track refunds that occur outside of HoneyBook.
- HoneyBook Tip: If you need to just undo marking a payment as paid rather than marking a payment as refunded, follow the same steps below until Step 5. From the menu in that step, just select Undo Mark as Paid instead of refunding!
To issue and track a refund on a payment you've manually marked as paid:
1. Issue your refund through the original payment method — for anything not transacted through HoneyBook, this will need to be done outside of HoneyBook.
- HoneyBook Tip: You can accept credit card and bank transfer payments directly through HoneyBook. If a payment came in through one of those methods, here's how to issue the refund through HoneyBook.
2. From your HoneyBook home page, navigate to the Project on which you'll be marking a payment as refunded.
- You can search for a specific Project via the search icon, or select the Projects tab to review your full list of Projects.
3. Once you've opened your Project, you can either locate the specific Invoice or Proposal that contained the payment via your Files tab, or select the Payments tab to quickly view all payments for that Project.
4. From within the file or via the Payments tab, find the payment you'd like to refund and select the 3-dot icon.
5. Select Full / Partial Refund from the menu that appears.
6. Enter the amount that you refunded through the original payment method, then click Mark as Refunded.
Now, the payment's status will appear as Refunded to both you and your client within the Project, and the refund will also be tracked in your Bookkeeping section.
Want to learn more?
- Marking a payment as paid: client paid outside of HoneyBook
- HoneyBook payments overview
- Client payment options
- How long payments take to process
Still have questions? Feel free to send us a message by clicking the Question Mark icon on any HoneyBook page. Our team is always happy to help!