Instead of needing to recreate your standard agreement for every new Project, save one or more Contract Templates. Then, when you start a new Project, you can select your Template of choice with just a few clicks and customize as necessary, guaranteeing professional and branded contracts every single time.
Our team can even help you upload your first batch of Contract Templates with our one-time account migration service, if you want to free up a little time! But for any subsequent Contracts you need to create or edit — or, if you're just more of a DIY type — carry on below!
Prefer a video walkthrough? We got you. Check it out here.
To create a Contract Template:
1. From your HoneyBook home page, click the Tools menu.
2. Select Templates from the menu.
3. Select Contract from the list of Template options on the left side of the screen.
4. Here, you’ll see any Templates you’ve already created, as well as example Templates we’ve provided. You can choose to work off of any of these, or start from scratch by clicking Create a new contract.
HoneyBook Tip: Looking for a specific Template to edit? Toggle to see your Templates in a grid or a list arrangement for easy viewing; then, sort any view alphabetically, or by date created!
5. Now, you can customize your file header — here's how to edit the file name, background image, and more.
6. Enter the full text of your Contract in the text box below the header. Feel free to take advantage of the text formatting options — customize to represent your brand!
HoneyBook Tip: HoneyBook Contracts are legally binding, so make sure to clearly include all relevant service information here.
PLEASE NOTE: Unfortunately, at the moment, your existing Contracts cannot be uploaded directly into HoneyBook — your Contract language will need to be copied and pasted into these Templates, per these instructions, in order to use them moving forward.
7. Click the Field Options button in the format tool bar to add fields that can automatically pull in Project details such as your client's info, event specifics, relevant dates, and more — choose any fields that currently exist in your HoneyBook Projects.
Field Name will show as placeholder text if no value is assigned in the Project.
Field Value can be entered for fields that are more static (like your business information), but you'll likely want to leave it blank; this will prompt you or your client to enter specific Project info before sending or signing the file.
You can select whether your client Can Edit (has the option to update), Must Fill (is required to update), or Can't Edit the field.
8. Use the other add buttons in the format tool bar to insert:
A payment schedule, auto-populating from your Project
Your Package List
PLEASE NOTE: When creating Contract Templates, you will not see an option to add signature lines. Don't worry — when you apply the Template to a Project, the platform will automatically add signature lines for all participants and for you.
All changes will save automatically, so you're good to go whenever you're finished with your edits — and you can now use your Template whenever you're sending a Contract.
Want to learn more?
Still have questions? Feel free to send us a message by clicking the Question Mark icon on any HoneyBook page. Our team is always happy to help!